Have You Been Injured By a Car While Walking? Let Us Know
If New York City has a reputation for anything, it’s being busy. With a population of more than 8.5 million, it can be difficult to find a quiet place away from running motors, kids playing in the street, or emergency vehicles rushing (or should we say trying to rush in traffic) to an emergency. While it has grown progressively safer in recent years, the economic cost of traffic accidents is almost $4.3 million annually.
If only because it is so populated, New York City has an incredibly high rate of accidents between pedestrians and vehicles. For that reason alone, it’s important that you understand your legal options in case you are the victim of a pedestrian-vehicle accident. Our personal injury department at PPID, also known as The Case Handler® team, has helped injured pedestrians and their families get the financial compensation they deserve from uncooperative insurance companies. With only one shot to recover compensation for your injuries, have your case evaluated for FREE by a top-rated New York pedestrian accident lawyer by dialing 212-203-4795.
In New York City, Walking Can Be a Dangerous Activity
In Manhattan, the most densely populated borough in New York City, pedestrians are four times more likely to be involved in a traffic fatality per mile of street compared to Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx and Staten Island, according to a large-scale study conducted by the New York Department of Transportation. Pedestrians face a higher risk in Manhattan due to a variety of reasons, including the fact that most New Yorkers are not aware that the city’s standard speed limit is 30 mph, and that accidents involving vehicles that travel at unsafe speeds are twice as likely to be deadly.
If we look at the statistics for all of New York state, the mean annual frequency of pedestrians who are killed or seriously injured by a vehicle are more than 15,000 times a year, with approximately 17% ending up with a traumatic brain injury. According to the Governors Highway Safety Association’s report, “Pedestrian Traffic Fatalities by State: 2018 Preliminary Data,” a projected 6,227 pedestrians were killed in the U.S. in 2018. That would be the highest number of pedestrian fatalities in nearly three decades! The top five states with the highest rate of pedestrian fatalities account for nearly half of all pedestrian fatalities in the United State and New York is number six.
- New York
Common Causes of a Pedestrian Accident
There are many reasons why a pedestrian accident can occur. The most common factor is driver negligence. Despite the introduction of new laws that prohibit texting while driving, the use of portable devices is still a common cause of driver inattention. Improper street crossing is also a major factor with pedestrians who are killed or severely injured by a motor vehicle. Failure to yield, difficult left turns, unsafe speeds, and of course, intoxication, all contribute to a higher accident risk.
Case Results for Pedestrian Accidents
- $1,800,000.00 Settlement – Pedestrian Struck by Forklift (Kings)
- $1,500,000.00 Settlement – Pedestrian Knockdown (Queens)
- $600,000.00 Verdict – Pedestrian Knockdown (Bronx)
- $525,000.00 Settlement – Pedestrian Struck by Car Results in Shoulder and Knee Injuries (Nassau)
- $514,669.00 Verdict – Pedestrian Struck Resulting in Left Shoulder Injuries (New York)
- $500,000.00 Settlement – Pedestrian Struck By Furniture Delivery Vehicle (Bronx)
- $300,000.00 Settlement – Pedestrian Accident Causes Fractures to Arm and Ankle (Kings)
- $250,000.00 Settlement – Child Pedestrian Struck (New York)
- $250,000.00 Settlement – Pedestrian Struck By Vehicle (Kings)
- $100,000.00 Verdict – Pedestrian Struck By Speeding Vehicle in Snowy Conditions (Kings)
- $97,500.00 Settlement – Pedestrian Struck By Vehicle in Crosswalk (New Jersey)
- $90,000.00 Settlement – Pedestrian Struck By Vehicle in Crosswalk (Bronx)
- $75,000.00 Settlement – Pedestrian Pinned Between SUV Tire (New York County)
- $25,000.00 Settlement – Pedestrian Struck By Hit and Run Vehicle in Crosswalk (Queens)
- $25,000.00 Settlement – Pedestrian Struck By Reckless Driver (Queens)
*Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome in your case.
Legal help for injured pedestrians in NYC
A pedestrian accident can have severe consequences. Beyond the medical expenses, you might have to deal with the impact of a lifelong injury and a significant emotional toll. If you have been seriously injured in a pedestrian accident, you need effective, aggressive, and dedicated advocacy provided by our team at Pollack, Pollack, Isaac & DeCicco, LLP. More than anything, it’s necessary that you understand your rights and your options so that you can focus on healing. Call our team for a FREE case evaluation at 212-203-4795 or contact us online.