Did Someone Else Crash into You in NYC? Call Us
Cars and trucks collide nearly every minute in New York City, and every day, thousands of people have to deal with the aftermath. Whether it’s fixing a banged-up car or rushing to the emergency room, dealing with what comes after an accident can be just as stressful—if not more—than the accident itself.
Some crashes are fender benders that are easily resolved through insurance claims, while others involve a lot of property damage, as well as physical and emotional suffering for the victims. They can be caused by many things, such as drunk driving, speeding, failure to obey traffic signals, and more. When someone else is to blame for your injuries, you should receive compensation from their insurance company. But what if they don’t have car insurance?
Whatever the case, if you have been involved in a car accident in NYC, our personal injury attorneys want to help you navigate your insurance claim while you focus on recovery. Call 212-203-4795 for a free initial consultation.
The Main Causes of Car Accidents
Most car accidents that we see in New York are caused by the following:
- Driver Error: Human errors constitute almost anything – driving too close, not yielding the right of way, driving too fast, failing to signal, or excessive lane-changing.
- Distractions: Yet another human error. Good driving means focused driving, but far too often, drivers are distracted. Distractions are present everywhere these days, from checking the phone, putting on makeup, or talking to the kids in the backseat.
- Road Defects: Some car accidents are caused by an external factor, like a defect in the road. That can include unfixed potholes, lack of proper traffic signs, or ongoing construction. Depending on which agency is responsible for maintaining the roads and how long the condition went unfixed, you may have a claim against the City.
- Auto Manufacturing Defect: In some circumstances, a crash can be caused by a manufacturing defect, like a bad tire or brakes. The manufacturer, or even an auto body shop that fixed your car or sold you the part, may be to blame.
At-Fault Driver with Insurance Coverage Issues
While drivers are required to have auto insurance, it is very unfortunate to find out that the other driver that hit you has very little coverage, or worse, no coverage at all. Under certain circumstances, accident victims may be able to make a claim under their own insurance policy to recover additional compensation. Injured victims that hold uninsured or under-insured motorist coverage (UM/UIM) on their own auto insurance policy would be able to consider this as an option. In the event of a hit-and-run accident, victims may be able to obtain compensation through their own uninsured motorist coverage.
What to Do After a Car Accident in NYC?
Accidents happen, even to the most seasoned drivers. The most important thing to remember is to remain calm and assess the situation. If you’re in the middle of the road, try to move to the side so that you don’t get hit again. If you need medical help, that should take priority. Call 911 and ask for an ambulance, if you need it. Request a police officer, who can write out an accident report. Take pictures of the damage to your car, the other car, and any relevant surroundings. Exchange contact information with the other party, including name, driver’s license, and insurance.
Even if you don’t need an ambulance, it’s a good idea to get checked out by a doctor right after getting into a car accident. Having a medical report can really help in the event that you decide to file a claim against another person or company. Also, not all injuries are obvious right away. You might be feeling fine, but certain internal organ injuries can take a while to appear. That’s why we suggest getting a medical professional to look you over as soon as possible.
Case Results for Car Accidents in New York
- $3,889,000.00 Verdict – Abigail fractures left leg in MTA bus accident.
- $3,400,000.00 Settlement – Distracted driver disregards stop sign and injures passenger.
- $2,550,000.00 Verdict – Rear-end accident that was rated #1 Verdict for a No-Fault Accident in the State of New York
- $1,500,00 Settlement – Dean was rear ended on the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge and suffered spinal injuries. Verdict was featured in New York Law Journal.
- $850,000.00 Settlement – Backseat passenger injured in car accident.
- $831,803.85 Verdict – Jamie was struck by a commercial van and was unable to work for 5 months.
- $825,000.00 Verdict – Client’s vehicle was struck in the rear.
- $731,000.00 Settlement – Sideswipe Accident in Queens, New York.
- $590,000.00 Settlement – Sasha was involved in a sideswipe accident with a commercial van.
- $485,000.00 Settlement – Lawrence was working as an Uber driver when he was involved in a 3-car collision.
- $415,000.00 Settlement – Curtis got into his parked car when he was rear-ended and went unconscious.
- $400,000.00 Verdict – Intersection accident in the Bronx.
- $330,000.00 Verdict – Client’s vehicle was struck in the rear.
- $295,000.00 Settlement – Presley underwent neck surgery after harmed in a multiple car accident.
- $270,000.00 Verdict – Eric struck by speeding vehicle pulling out of McDonald’s parking lot.
- $260,000.00 Settlement – Client injured on Charter Bus to Atlantic City.
- $255,000.00 Settlement – Dump Truck rear-ends Client.
- $250,000.00 Settlement – Kareem was struck by a drunk driver that results in knee injuries.
- $250,000.00 Settlement – Client injured on Charter Bus to Atlantic City.
- $250,000.00 Settlement – Passenger injured on “Dollar Van” that lost control.
- $235.00 Settlement – Racquel injured after sideswipe and tree crash.
- $235,000.00 Settlement – Bus passenger injured when driver pulled away before passenger was able to step onto pavement.
- $225,000.00 Settlement – Angel was injured in a hit-and-run collision.
- $220,000.00 Settlement – Douglas was struck by a driver with low car insurance ($25k).
- $200,000.00 Settlement – Wally was a taxi driver that was struck by a vehicle that denied liability.
*Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome in your case.
Contact an Experienced NYC Personal Injury Lawyer
Dealing with an auto insurance company can be overwhelming and stressful when you’re busy trying to recover from a bad car crash. Mounting medical bills and not being able to work can leave you in a tough spot, financially. If you want to get the highest possible compensation, we are here to help. Let our New York City car accident lawyers at Pollack, Pollack, Isaac & DeCicco, LLP, worry about your claim, while you worry about recovering from the accident. Call us for a free consultation at 212-203-4795.
Pollack, Pollack, Isaac & DeCicco, LLP is home to one of the most highly respected personal injury teams in New York City – The Case Handler® team.