New York Brain Injury Attorneys Help Victims File a TBI Claim
Severe brain injuries can have life-altering consequences for victims and their families. They can cause a wide range of short- or long-term changes in thinking, sensation, language, and emotion. Brain injuries can also cause epilepsy and increase the risk of Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and other brain disorders, as stated by the CDC.
What Is Traumatic Brain Injury?
Traumatic brain injury (TBI) is a disruption in the normal function of the brain caused by trauma. It can result from a bump, blow, or jolt to the head, or from a penetrating head injury, such as a bullet wound. Children and older adults have a higher risk for TBI.
What Are the Symptoms of Traumatic Brain Injury?
Mild TBI Symptoms
Most people who suffer mild TBI recover well from their symptoms. On the other hand, some people can take days, weeks, or even longer to recover. Symptoms of mild traumatic brain injury may include:
- Loss of consciousness for a few seconds to a few minutes
- Headache, nausea, or vomiting
- Fatigue or drowsiness
- Dizziness or loss of balance
- Difficulty sleeping
- Problems with speech
- Blurred vision or ringing in the ears
- Changes in the ability to smell
- Sensitivity to light or sound
- Mood changes or mood swings
- Memory or concentration problems
- Feeling anxious or depressed
Moderate to Severe TBI Symptoms
Moderate to severe traumatic brain injury symptoms can be more serious and longer-lasting. They may include:
- Loss of consciousness for several minutes to hours
- Dilation of one or both pupils
- Clear fluid draining from the ears or nose
- Repeated vomiting or nausea
- Convulsions or seizures
- Loss of coordination
- Weakness or numbness in the fingers and toes
- Headache that persists or worsens
- Inability to awaken from sleep
- Profound confusion
- Combativeness, agitation, or unusual behavior
- Slurred speech
- Coma or other consciousness disorders
What Are the Causes of Traumatic Brain Injury?
TBI can result from any accident or injury that causes trauma to the brain. The most common causes include the following, as reported by the Mayo Clinic:
- Falls: This is the leading cause of TBI overall, and particularly among older adults and children. Slip or trip and fall accidents, falls from ladders or down the stairs, and falls from heights in construction accidents are common causes of TBI.
- Motor vehicle collisions: Traffic crashes involving cars, trucks, motorcycles, bicycles, and pedestrians rank among the top causes of traumatic brain injury.
- Violence: Gunshot wounds, domestic violence, and other types of assault are common causes of TBI.
- Sports injuries: Athletes who participate in high-impact or extreme sports have a higher risk for traumatic brain injury, particularly among youth. Examples of such sports include football, soccer, baseball, boxing, skateboarding, hockey, and lacrosse.
- Explosive blasts: Explosions can cause traumatic brain injuries. TBI can also be caused by penetrating wounds, blows to the head with debris or shrapnel, and falls or bodily collisions with objects following an explosive blast.
What Damages Can I Recover for Brain Injuries?
If you have suffered a severe traumatic brain injury in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to pursue substantial damages. Severe TBI survivors and their families may face lifelong challenges. Victims may require extensive and continuing medical care and may be unable to work in a previous occupation.
Our compassionate New York brain injury attorneys with Pollack, Pollack, Isaac & DeCicco, LLP can thoroughly investigate your accident or injury to determine fault and liability and fully assess the losses you have suffered. Depending on the circumstances, damages you may be entitled to claim may include:
- Medical expenses, past and future
- Rehabilitation costs
- Lost income
- Diminished earning capacity
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering, physical and mental
Contact our experienced brain injury attorneys now
Our seasoned trial lawyers at Pollack, Pollack, Isaac & DeCicco, LLP can negotiate skillfully with defense counsel or insurance companies on your behalf, and we will not hesitate to go to court, if necessary, to pursue the compensation you deserve. Call us today at 212-203-4795 to get our top New York personal injury attorneys by your side.